Thursday, February 13, 2014

ICON – First Day, Thursday, February 13


Yesterday was the first day of the ICON for me although technically the first day of the ICON is still on the 14th. I consider this the first day because it was my first day in CDO which was the venue of the ICON for this year.

I am happy and I feel blessed to join this ICON because I almost decided not to come. I was a little tight in terms of finances at this early part of the year but I still managed to make it through. It could have been easier to decide not to go to the ICON but I thought it over and this must God's way of reminding me that I would not appreciate the things that I have not worked hard for. I have no problem attending the past ICONs but I admit I can’t say the same about this ICON.



On the first day, I decided not to go with some friends to Dahilayan because I wanted this ICON to be more reflective and contemplative at the same time. When the guys left me in the pension house, I decided to take a nap and checked on the emails. I was assigned to check on my chapter’s backup accommodation and I decided to do it in the afternoon. I also decided to try to look for a church where I could have a confession and I settled for the Nazareno Church beside Gaisano.

I walked to San Bridgette’s Home from Divisoria and I was happy I did it because I was able to observe closely the ordinary day activities in the city. I was happy because I was able to locate the pension house but unfortunately our reservation was given to another group which could not be accommodated on one room. I was worried though because we might not be accommodated in the original pension house and will have no backup accommodation.

From St. Bridgette’s Home, I again walked to Gaisano. I was happy to see so many developments along the way which was not around the last time I was in CDO. Gaisano was pretty much the same but I saw a big building across which was Robinson’s. The Nazareno Church is not hard to find because it is just beside Gaisano. I found out that the confession was already going on so I decided to join the line. I was happy that I was able to have the confession in Nazareno Church but at the same time worried that not many people line up to confess. In Cebu, people have to wait long lines just to get to confession in different churches.

I walked to where I was staying and waited for the guys to come back from Dahilayan. They texted me in time for dinner in Barbeque’s Best which was filled with other SFCs from all over the Philippines. You could tell that they were also from their different adventures. Everyone was taking pictures and talking about the things that they did for the day. The meal was great and sharing it with the C1A SFCs made it even better.

We went back to our different accommodations after the dinner. That wraps up the first day in ICON. The most vivid picture that I could remember on this day was the street names that I have to read on every street corner. It was a simple day yet I enjoyed every bit of it. It’s now time for the gospel reading. Signing off for now. 

No comments: